Who is involved in HAB monitoring and tracking for KDHE?

KKDHE operates a statewide, complaint-based response program. Any member of the public can submit a complaint. In response to each report of a harmful algal bloom in a publicly accessible waterbody, the KDHE Bureau of Water (BOW) works with the Bureau of Environmental Field Services (BEFS) to coordinate an investigation that includes field validation of the complaint, followed by water sample collection and analysis. An outline of the agency's response program can be found here. The response program coordinates closely with the Public Water Supply Section (PWSS) when there are HAB complaints about water bodies that serve as a source for public water supplies.

In addition to receiving and investigating complaints of blue-green algae blooms in public water bodies, KDHE also tracks and investigates reports of human and animal algae-related illnesses. The KDHE Bureau of Epidemiology and Public Health Informatics (BEPHI) receives these reports; click here for more information from BEPHI.

Show All Answers

1. Who is involved in HAB monitoring and tracking for KDHE?
2. How does KDHE respond to HABs in recreational waters?
3. Do KDHE close lakes with blue-green algae?
4. How does KDHE decide what lakes to sample?
5. How does KDHE decide what level of advisory to recommend?
6. What are the guidelines for use of a waterbody for each level of the advisory?
7. Where can I get current information about lake advisories?