Traumatic injury causes physical disability and death. Traumatic injury has surpassed disease as a leading public health concern, hitting our children and elders the hardest. It is the leading cause of unintentional death for Kansans ages 1 to 44.
When you suffer a serious injury you need timely public access via:
- Rapid activation of the EMS system
- Emergency medical care in and out of the hospital setting
- Transport to the nearest appropriate hospital
- Stabilization in the emergency department
- Possible surgical intervention
- Acute hospital care and rehabilitation
All of this reduces the chance that you will become severely disabled or die.