Who is a mandated reporter in Kansas?

Health care providers and laboratories are required to notify KDHE regarding patients with suspected or confirmed reportable diseases. Each person licensed to practice the healing arts or engaged in a postgraduate training program approved by the state board of healing arts, licensed dentist, licensed professional nurse, licensed practical nurse, administrator of a hospital, licensed adult care home administrator, licensed physician assistant, licensed social worker, and teacher or school administrator are required to report. The list of reportable diseases is defined by Kansas statute (K.S.A. 65-118, 65-128 and 65-6001 through 65-6007; and by K.A.R. 28-1-2 and 28-1-18).

If you are a mandated reporter who is aware of a suspected or confirmed case of COVID-19, but your facility did not conduct a laboratory test, you are not required to report the patient to KDHE. For example, if you are a school nurse who is aware of a student that tested positive at a local clinic, you do not need to report the student. The laboratory conducting the SARS-CoV-2 test is required to report results to KDHE.

Show All Answers

1. Do I need to report by telephone?
2. Who is a mandated reporter in Kansas?