How does KDHE decide what lakes to sample?

Due to limited resources, KDHE samples only public use lakes and does so only in response to complaints of human or animal illness or visual sighting of possible blue-green algae by the public or by lake managers. For KDHE to respond to a blue-green algae sighting, a request must be made through the online Algae Bloom Reporting Form. Alternative reporting options include sending an email or calling the HAB hotline at 785-296-1664. Individuals who use these alternative options should expect a time delay, as staff must manually transfer email or phone complaints into the online reporting system.

Show All Answers

1. Who is involved in HAB monitoring and tracking for KDHE?
2. How does KDHE respond to HABs in recreational waters?
3. Do KDHE close lakes with blue-green algae?
4. How does KDHE decide what lakes to sample?
5. How does KDHE decide what level of advisory to recommend?
6. What are the guidelines for use of a waterbody for each level of the advisory?
7. Where can I get current information about lake advisories?