What about water supply address or personnel changes?

Make sure that you keep these up to date at all times. If there are any changes please make sure that the Public Water Supply Section (PWSS) is notified:

  • Phone: 785-296-6434
  • Alternate Phone: 785-296-7111.

The lab prepares kits for mailing about 6 weeks ahead of the collection date, so it is very important that you update your information as soon as possible. You can also print off a PWS Contact Change Form on the KDHE, Bureau of Water, Public Water Supply Section and return it to:

  • Christianne Huard Phone: 785-296-7111
  • Karrie Ullery Phone: 785-296-6340
  • Kansas Department of Health and Environment
    Division of Environment, Bureau of Water
    1000 SW Jackson Street
    Suite 420
    Topeka, KS 66612

Show All Answers

1. I missed my collection day. What do I do?
2. Can you test my well?
3. What about water supply address or personnel changes?
4. How does the Lab mail out the collection kits?
5. How do I handle collection kits that are delivered while I still have bottles to collect?
6. What can I do if I have sent my sample, but forgot to fill out the collection card?
7. What if there is a small amount of liquid or white powder in the bottle. Is it safe to use?
8. What should I do if the lid on the bottle is loose?
9. I had a positive sample and sent in a box of 3 Repeat samples, and now I have another box of 3 samples, what are they for?
10. I collected my sample but forgot to mail it or I know my sample will be too old.
11. Where do I take the replacement for my rejected sample?