- Programs & Services
- Division of Public Health
- Personal & Family Health
- Oral Health
- School Screening Program
School Screening Program
Kansas School Oral Health Screening Initiative
Better Oral Health for All Kansas Children
The Bureau of Oral Health has implemented a statewide oral health screening program to satisfy The Kansas State Statute for Annual Dental Inspection (K.S.A. 72-6251).
Dentists and dental hygienists in Kansas are providing dental screenings in their own local communities with school nurses sending the results home to parents and guardians. Over a hundred thousand children from pre-K to Grade 12, are being screened annually across Kansas. School nurses send the aggregated data to the Bureau of Oral Health and it is included in our annual reports. School nurses express much appreciation and are thrilled the children are being screened; parents are informed of obvious dental concerns, and children are referred to dental professionals for obvious care needed.
If you are a dentist or dental hygienist and would like to volunteer to screen a local school, email the Bureau of Oral Health.
If you are a school and would like to participate in school oral health screenings, please email the Bureau of Oral Health.
Notification of the dental screening can be done in a number of ways. Here are a few examples but it is not all-inclusive:
- The form can be sent home to each student
- Email blast can be done notifying parent/guardian attaching the form
- An announcement can be made on your school district or school website stating the dental screenings will be conducted in compliance with Kansas State Statute 72-6251. Please contact your school nurse if you wish to have your child opt-out of the screening.
- Can be present in your student handbook that is available to all parents stating that during the school year Hearing, Vision, and Dental screenings will be conducted. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact your school nurse.
Screening Report Data
The data collected was from a convenience sample (not randomized). This may not be representative of the overall population.
- Directions for Accessing the Online Calibration Course Number 1029736 (PDF)
- Instructions To Submit Dental Screening Data (PDF)
- Kansas School Screening Toolkit (PDF)
- Kansas State Statute 72-6251 (PDF)
- KBOH School Screenings Video
- Oral Health FAQ (PDF)
- Oral Health User Guide (PDF)
- Tips for Screeners (PDF)
- 4-Year Screening Program Sealant Data - Multi Year (PDF)
- 4-Year Screening Program Sealant Data 2013 to 2014 (PDF)
- 4-Year Screening Program Treated Decay Data - Multi Year (PDF)
- 4-Year Screening Program Treated Decay Data 2013 to 2014 (PDF)
- 4-Year Screening Program Untreated Decay Data - Multi Year (PDF)
- 4-Year Screening Program Untreated Decay Data 2013 to 2014 (PDF)
- 4-Year Screening Program Urgent Care Data - Multi Year (PDF)
- 4-Year Screening Program Urgent Care Data 2013 to 2014 (PDF)