Local & State Health Data
The best approaches to addressing the specific health needs of the community or service area are based on population health data. The following references may help locate data for evaluating specific community needs.
Kansas Information for Communities
The Kansas Information for Communities (KIC) system gives users the chance to prepare their own queries for vital event and other health care data. KIC programs allow you to generate your own table for specific characteristics, year of occurrence, age, race, sex, and county.
Data sets that can be queried are:
- Kansas Population Estimates
- Hospital Discharges by Diagnosis
- Hospital Discharges by Procedure
- Cancer Incidence
Kansas Quick Census
Community Health Status Indicators
The goal of Community Health Status Indicators (CHSI) is to provide an overview of key health indicators for local communities and to encourage dialogue about actions that can be taken to improve a community’s health. The CHSI report contains over 200 measures for each of the 3,141 United States counties. The data used to construct the Community Health Status Indicators (CHSI) were obtained from a variety of federal agencies including the Department of Health and Human Services, Environmental Protection Agency, Census Bureau, and Department of Labor. The data reported are publicly available data:
- Data for Cities in Kansas
- Additional city information
- Links to Kansas Annual Summary of Vital Statistics (KDHE)
- Small Area Income and Poverty Estimates (SAIPE) - Current estimates of selected income and poverty statistics than the most recent decennial census for states, counties, and school districts. The objective of this program is to provide updated estimates of income and poverty statistics for administration of federal programs and the allocation of federal funds to local jurisdictions. Next release is planned for December 2006.
- Race and Hispanic Ethnicity by County
Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System
The Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System (BRFSS) Coordinated and partially funded by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the BRFSS is the largest continuously conducted telephone survey in the world. It is conducted in every state. The first BRFSS survey in Kansas was conducted as a point-in-time survey in 1990, and Kansas has conducted the BRFSS survey annually since 1992.
Maternal & Child Health State Needs Assessment
Kids Count Data Center
- Kansas Data and Factsheet
- County Level Data
- Health Insurance Coverage Status Tables (U.S. Census Bureau)
- Number Uninsured by County (2000)
- Healthy Kansans 2010 - Leading Health Indicators
- Kaiser Family Foundation State Health Facts
Kansas Rural Health Works County Impact Reports
- Kansas Rural Health Works County Impact Reports - Economic analysis of the local health care system for every rural county in the state (2009)
Kansas Center for Community Economic Development
- Kansas Center for Community Economic Development (KCCED) is a summary report containing population, socio-economic, and employment data for each Kansas county.
Kansas Health Institute
- Kansas Health Institute - “Racial and Ethnic Minority Health Disparities in Kansas" A Data and Chartbook
KU Institute for Policy & Social Research
- Economic Summary Data by County
- Demographic Summary Data by County
- Census 2000 Data
- Migration Profile
- Summary File 4 Profile
- Summary File 3 Profile
- Census 2000 Profile of Demographic, Social, Economic, and Housing Data
- 2000 Single Year of Age Tables and Pyramids
- Summary File 1 Profile
- Population by Race (Graphs and Tables in HTML)
- Intercensal Census (Estimated) Data
- Population Estimates by Age, Race, Gender, and Hispanic Origin
- Single Year of Age by Gender Tables
- Single Year of Age by Gender Tables
- Single Year of Age Tables and Pyramids
- 1990 Census Data
USA State & County-Level Data From Indiana Business Research Center
- View USA State and County-Level data from Indiana Business Research Center with national ranking and peer-finding.
STI / HIV Statistics
- View the STI / HIV Statistics.
Public Health Action Plan for the Elimination of Childhood Lead Poisoning in Kansas by 2020
- View the Public Health Action Plan to Eliminate Lead Poisoning in Kansas by 2010 developed by the Kansas Lead Advisory Committee (PDF)
County Lead Program Information
National Association for Community Health Centers (NACHC)
National Health Interview Survey
The National Health Interview Survey (NHIS) provides national estimates for a broad range of health measures for the U.S. civilian non-institutionalized population of adults.
- Reports From the 2004 National Health Interview Survey
- National Center for Health Statistics (NCHS) provides selected key findings from 2004 mortality data for the United States. Deaths and death rates, leading causes of death
National Ambulatory Medical Care Survey
- National Ambulatory Medical Care Survey (PDF) - 2004 Summary - Ambulatory care visits made to physician offices in the United States with selected characteristics of the physician’s practice, patients, and visits.