Online Wastewater Training (5 hours)
Due to the cancelation of many operator training events, the Bureau of Water is offering the below options for operators to earn their required training hours online. Each training option will give a certificate of completion at the end of the event.
Operators wishing to earn the training hours must submit an email to Frank Moreno to prove attendance and receive hours. The email shall include the webinar(s) viewed and date the webinar(s) were attended. If you are completing the survey option, the certificate of completion shall also be emailed.
- Complete - EPA POTW Survey - 2.5 hours
- Complete - One Online Wastewater Training webinar - 2.5 hours
- Complete - two Online Wastewater Training webinars - (each webinar is 2.5 hours) - 5 hours
EPA POTW Survey - 2.5 Hours
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) offers a voluntary Publicly Owned Treatment Works (POTWs) Screener Questionnaire to collect information on treatment and wastewater characteristics of POTWs facilities. The goal of the survey is to document nutrient reductions obtained from low-cost modifications and optimizing existing operations and maintenance practices, rather than implementing advanced and often costly capital upgrades. Many POTWs have already demonstrated significant nutrient reductions using low cost modifications.
Online Wastewater Training - 2.5 Hours Each, 5 Hours Max
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has sponsored webinars ranging over a variety of topics. The webinars are divided into two categories, recorded and upcoming. Click on the registration link below the webinar to sign up for the webinar.
- Thursday May 27, 2021 (1 to 2:30 pm EST)
- Biosolids Part 2: Wastewater Treatment Sludge Disposal Methods (Land Application, Incineration, Landfilling)
- Presenter: TBD
- Thursday June 24, 2021 (1 to 2:30 pm EST)
- Protecting Your Utility From Disaster - Resiliency Part 1 of 2
- Presenter: David Goldbloom-Helzner, U.S. EPA HQ
- Thursday July 29, 2021 (1 to 2:30 pm EST)
- Building Resilience and Adapting to Climate Change Impacts for Drinking Water and Wastewater Utilities, Resiliency Part 2 of 2
- Presenter: Curt Baranowski, U.S. EPA HQ
General Interest to NDPES Dischargers
- Asset Management 101 - Finding Financial Assistance for Infrastructure Upgrades, Alison Fenniken, EPA, Sarah Buck, Rural Community Assistance Partnership (RCAP) and Heather Hemmelberger, PE Southwest Environmental Finance Center. Presented April 15, 2020
- Discharge Monitoring Reports - Avoiding Common Mistakes, Presenters: Juan Ibarra, Cornell Gayle, Emilio Llamosa, Jake Nguyen U.S. EPA. Presented on July 15 and August 20, 2020 (to correct poor audio)
- Troubleshooting Noncompliance at the Smallest Wastewater Treatment Plants - Part 1 of 2 (Ohio's Package Plant Initiative, Nutrient Conversion), Jon van Dommelen, OH Compliance Assistance Unit. Presented October 17, 2019
- Troubleshooting Noncompliance at the Smallest Wastewater Treatment Plants - Part 2 of 2 (Solids Separation and Disinfection),Jon van Dommelen, OH Compliance Assistance Unit. Presented November 13, 2019
- Optimizing Nutrient Reduction in Small Wastewater Treatment Plants, Jon van Dommelen, OH Compliance Assistance Unit. Presented December 11, 2019
- Alkalinity Testing for Better Process Control in Small Wastewater Treatment Plants - Subset of Ammonia Noncompliance, Jon van Dommelen, OH Compliance Assistance Unit. Presented January 29, 2020
- Optimizing Performance of Facultative Wastewater Lagoon Systems, Part 1 of 2. Steve Harris, President H&S Environmental, LLC. Presented February 19, 2020
- Optimizing Performance of Aerated Wastewater Lagoon Systems, Part 2 of 2. Steve Harris, President H&S Environmental, LLC. Presented March 18, 2020
- Recording: This webinar is available in 2 unedited video files. Here is the first portion of the webinar covering general troubleshooting principals, which was re-recorded to correct bad audio:
- Fast forward to minute 18 of this file, which covers case studies.
- When Small POTWs Should Establish a Pretreatment Program, January Pickrel EPA HQs and Al Garcia EPA, Region 8 (Denver, CO). Presented June 17, 2020
- Best Management Practices for POTW Compliance: Critical Elements of Successful Wastewater Treatment- Part 1, (Sampling and Monitoring - Compliance v. Process Control, Implementing a Process Control Plan and Making Operational Adjustments, Managing Effective and Educated Operators), Jake Albright PG Environmental, and Bill Ingram Great Barrington, MA WWTP Superintendent. Presented on August 18, 2020
- Best Management Practices for POTW Compliance: Critical Elements of Successful Wastewater Treatment- Part 2, (Creating and implementing effective SOPs, Managing your WWTP to promote compliance, finding technical assistance programs and resources), Jake Albright PG Environmental, Heather Himmelberger PE, Director Southwest Environmental Finance Center. Presented September 15, 2020.
- Strategies for Small POTWs Handling High Strength Influent (Pretreatment / non-domestic sewage), Presenters: Justin Pimpare, EPA Region 1 (Boston, MA) Al Garcia EPA Region 8 (Denver, CO). Presented October 20, 2020.
- The Microbiology of Wastewater Treatment - Life in the Aeration Tank: Bacteria, Protozoa and Metazoa, Presenter: Jon van Dommelen, OH EPA Compliance Assistance Unit. Presented November 17, 2020.
- Flow Measurement, Presenters: Louis Salguero, U.S. EPA Region 4, Athens, GA, and Cornell Gayle, U.S. EPA Region 4, Atlanta, GA. Presented December 8, 2020.
- Sampling: Do's and Don'ts, Presenter: Cornell Gayle, U.S. EPA Region 4, Athens, GA. Presented January 27, 2021.
- Do's and Don'ts in Operating an NPDES Laboratory: Common Mistakes and Ways to Improve Results, Presenter: Magdeleine Dallemagne, U.S. EPA Region 6, Dallas, TX. Presented February 24, 2021