Maternal health is a complex public health issue that requires a multifaceted solution. Together, with multiple state and national partners, the Kansas Department of Health and Environment (KDHE) has developed the Maternal Warning Signs Integration Toolkit as an access point for extensive provider education about maternal mortality, along with a comprehensive selection of patient education materials for implementation across all sectors and settings.
Through the provision of these resources, it is the hope of KDHE to raise awareness of potentially life-threatening warning signs during pregnancy and the postpartum period. The toolkit and its resources are designed to empower pregnant and postpartum women to speak up when something does not feel right and encourage partners, friends, family, and healthcare providers to really listen and take action when women express concerns.
For more information, review the following web pages and check out the social media toolkit:
The Kansas Department of Health and Environment and the Kansas Perinatal Quality Collaborative is committed to healthy pregnancies and deliveries for every woman. Find resources to assist providers in patient education and empowerment; communication and collaboration; and screening, brief intervention, and referrals for treatment.
For Patients & Clients
More than 700 women die each year in this country from problems related to pregnancy or delivery complications. Every death is a tragedy, especially when we know that two thirds of pregnancy-related deaths could be prevented. Learn more about the symptoms of these potentially life-threatening complications and how you can help improve these outcomes.
For Family, Support Persons, & Community Support
Resources for partners, friends and family of pregnant or postpartum persons:
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Hear Her Campaign
- Postpartum Support International
- SAMHSA National Helpline for individuals and families facing mental and/or substance use disorders
Social Media Toolkit
Help us share important information about preventing pregnancy-related deaths.
- KDHE Social Media Toolkit
- Social Media Messaging (PDF)
- Signs & Symptoms of Preterm Labor (PDF) | Español (PDF)
- Count the Kicks (PDF) | Español (PDF)
- Urgent Warning Signs (PDF) | Español (PDF)
- Action Plan for Depression & Anxiety (PDF) | Español (PDF)
- Post Birth Warning Signs (PDF) | Español (PDF)
- Listening & Acting Quickly (PDF) | Español (PDF)
- Talk About Depression & Anxiety (PDF) | Español (PDF)
- CDC Hear Her Campaign - Social Media Toolkit