The Bureau of Field Service's Livestock Waste Management team protects the waters of the state of Kansas by educating and assisting the regulated community, reviewing and issuing Livestock Waste Management Permits, and ensuring compliance with applicable statutes, regulations, and permitting requirements.
Any facility that has an animal unit capacity of 300 or more, or that has been determined to have significant water pollution potential must register with the Kansas Department of Health and Environment (KDHE). Upon evaluation of the facility, it will be determined if waste controls and a permit are necessary.
View the disclaimer, which includes the most current statutes and regulations.
Registration links, instructions, and supplemental documents are included in the notices.
Swine Feedlot Permit Applications
Regulations, Inspections & Certification
- EPA's Concentrated Animal Feeding Operations (CAFO) - 2008 Final Rule
- Regulatory Guidance for Large Dairy Operations (PDF)
- Statutes and Regulations
- Design Standards for Confined Feeding Facilities (PDF)
- Confined Feeding Remaining Amended Regulations (PDF)
- Confined Animal Feeding Operations Economic Benefit Statement (PDF)
- Environmental Benefit Statement (PDF)
KDHE, in cooperation with the Kansas Pork Association, has developed a computer-based operator certification training course that is available online via the Internet. To sign up for the swine facility operator certification, please complete the online application. For upcoming training hour opportunities, please email Levi Crooke.
Forms & Related Resources
- 2022 Livestock Compliance Calendar (PDF)
- Closure Request (PDF)
- Habitable Structure Separation Distance Agreement (PDF)
- Operations and Annual Report (XLSX)
- Permit and Renewal Application (DOC)
- Permit and Renewal Application (PDF)
- Registration (DOC)
- Registration (PDF)
- Reportable Event Form (DOCX)
- Waste Management Plan (DOC)
- Waste Management Plan (PDF)
- Guidance Document for NMPs (PDF)
- NMP Signature Page for Ownership or Permit Name Change (PDF)
- NMP Template Non-Swine Facilities (DOC)
- NMP Template Swine Facilities (DOC)
- NUP Form (DOC)
- NUP version 3.5 Workbook (XLSM)
- Soil Sampling Certification (DOC)
- Technical Standards for Nutrient Management Revised 2010 (PDF)