Background Check Information
Mailing Your Fingerprint Cards
Mail your fingerprint cards to the Kansas Department of Health and Environment (KDHE) Child Care Licensing if you are:
- Submitting an Initial Application (including Move, Program Change, and Ownership Changes)
- Adding a new affiliate (individual) living, working or volunteering at the facility
To flag your fingerprints as a priority to process, please view the Fingerprint Instructions (PDF).
- Out-of-State Background Checks
- Authorized Fingerprinting Locations
- Previously Lived in Kansas
- Common Prohibited Offenses
- Frequently Asked Questions
- New & Amended Background Check Questions
After you receive notification from KDHE that a fingerprint is needed:
- Pick up a Child Care Licensing Background Check Packet from your local Health Department or Licensing Surveyor.
- View a List of Authorized Finger Printing Location Sites (PDF)
- Please Note: This list is not all-inclusive. Additional KBI authorized locations may be available in your area.
Center-Based Programs Only: To inquire if KBI is available to come to your location to take fingerprints, please call 785-296-8266.
If you previously lived in KS and need to obtain KS background check history use the following links:
- K.A.R. 28-4-125 Background Checks for Licensed Day Care Homes Group Day Care Homes Child Care Centers and Preschools Effective June 7, 2018 (PDF)
- K.A.R. 28-4-584 Background Checks for School Age Programs Effective June 7, 2018 (PDF)
- K.A.R. 28-4-705 Background Checks for Drop-in Programs for School Age Children and Youth Effective June 7, 2018 (PDF)
- K.A.R. 28-4-95 Fee for Fingerprint-Based Background Checks Effective November 26, 2018 (PDF)
- Kansas Register, Volume 37, Number 20A, May 23, 2018 (PDF)
- Kansas Register, Volume 37, Number 45, November 8, 2018 (PDF)