Background Check Information
Revised Fingerprint Waiver 08/2022
At the time fingerprints are taken, beginning with fingerprints taken on 9/19/2022 and after, only the new version of the waiver form will be accepted.
Any fingerprints taken using the previous waiver form (dated 03/2019) prior to 9/19/2022 will be accepted by Child Care Licensing.
- FAQs for Revised Fingerprint Waiver Form (PDF)
- Child Care Center and Preschool Background Questions and Answers (PDF)
- General Background Check Questions and Answers (PDF)
- Licensed Day Care Home and Group Day Care Home Background Questions and Answers (PDF)
- School Age Program and Drop In Program Background Questions and Answers (PDF)
Mailing Your Fingerprint Cards
Mail your fingerprint cards to the Kansas Department of Health and Environment (KDHE) Child Care Licensing if you are:
- Submitting an Initial Application (including Move, Program Change, and Ownership Changes)
- Adding a new affiliate (individual) living, working or volunteering at the facility
To flag your fingerprints as a priority to process, please view the Fingerprint Instructions (PDF).
Fingerprint Locations & More About Background Checks
- Authorized Fingerprinting Locations
- Out-of-State Background Checks
- Previously Lived in Kansas
- Common Prohibited Offenses
- Amended Policies & Regulations
Find an Authorized Fingerprinting Location
After you receive notification from KDHE that a fingerprint is needed:
- Pick up a Child Care Licensing Background Check Packet from your local Health Department or Licensing Surveyor.
- View a List of 2022 Authorized Finger Printing Location Sites (PDF)
- Please Note: This list is not all-inclusive. Additional KBI authorized locations may be available in your area.
Center-Based Programs Only: To inquire if KBI is available to come to your location to take fingerprints, please call 785-296-8266.
Background Check Requirements for People Residing Out of State
Any individual who has lived in another state within the last 5 years and who has a role requiring a comprehensive background check is required to have an out-of-state background check.
Previous Resident of Kansas
If you previously lived in KS and need to obtain KS background check history use the following links:
Common Prohibited Offenses
By submitting the names of your affiliates to Child Care Licensing, you are attesting to the fact that you are not knowingly maintaining a child care facility if there resides, works, or regularly volunteers any person who is prohibited pursuant to K.S.A. 65-516. Learn more about common prohibited offenses (PDF).
Amended Background Check Policies & Regulations
- K.A.R. 28-4-125 Background Checks for Licensed Day Care Homes Group Day Care Homes Child Care Centers and Preschools Effective June 7, 2018 (PDF)
- K.A.R. 28-4-584 Background Checks for School Age Programs Effective June 7, 2018 (PDF)
- K.A.R. 28-4-705 Background Checks for Drop-in Programs for School Age Children and Youth Effective June 7, 2018 (PDF)
- K.A.R. 28-4-95 Fee for Fingerprint-Based Background Checks Effective November 26, 2018 (PDF)
- Kansas Register, Volume 37, Number 20A, May 23, 2018 (PDF)
- Kansas Register, Volume 37, Number 45, November 8, 2018 (PDF)