How to Open a Licensed Child Care Facility

Are You Interested in Providing Licensed Child Care?

  • Are you 18 and have a high school degree or its equivalent?

  • Do you want to impact children for the rest of their lives, and teach them positive lessons in sharing and playing with others?

  • Do you want to run your own small business?

  • Do you wish to stay home and offer in-home care OR do you have a desire to open a daycare outside of your residence? Both are doable! KDHE licenses multiple types of child care programs unique to your needs and the community to be served.

Step 1: What Type of Care Will You Provide?

Licensing is critical to ensure children are cared for in a safe and healthy environment. Regulated care includes home care, center or school age programs. Understanding what type of care you want to offer is your first step in this journey! Learn about the different types of child care licenses and when you need one.

  1. Step 2: Orientation
  2. Step 3: Application
  3. Step 4: Background Checks
  4. Step 5: Onsite Survey

Schedule Your Orientation

Orientation is your first opportunity to learn what is required for the type of care you're pursuing. Orientation is conducted by the local licensing surveyor. The goal of orientation is to explain the child care licensing process and requirements and offer support and encouragement. During orientation, the applicant will learn about the practices for the type of facility, including duties and responsibilities for the care and supervision of children. Orientation will set you and your business, up for success.

Topics covered will include:

  • Licensing regulations
  • Emergency procedures
  • Behavior management and discipline practices
  • Schedule of daily activities
  • Importance of outdoor play
  • Health and safety practices, i.e. safe sleep, storage of hazardous materials, etc.
  • Confidentiality, i.e. child records
  • Required Health and Safety training topics
  • Required Pediatric CPR & First Aid

Schedule Your Required Orientation

Contact your local licensing surveyor (PDF) to schedule your orientation. DO NOT apply for a license until you have attended a required orientation. 

Verify Building Codes for Licensing 

If applicable, contact your Home Owner's Association (HOA) or city or county building codes office to verify that you can open a licensed facility in your desired location.