Kansas Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System
In 1990 with funding from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the Kansas Department of Health and Environment conducted the first phone-based Kansas Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System survey. Since that time, the survey has been helping inform health policy in our state.
We conduct telephone health surveys year-round to randomly selected adults. Some Kansans may mistake an unsolicited survey call for a scam attempt. Our calls are legitimate and participation is vital. This page has been established to:
- Answer frequent questions
- Encourage participation
- Share the results from the survey
Each year we try to complete between 10,000 and 20,000 surveys with Kansans. Read our overview (PDF).
Supporting Communities & Professionals
Public health professionals, colleges, universities, private organizations and researchers pay for the questions asked in the survey, then work to analyze and use the information. The analyzed information helps in:
- Assessing health needs
- Detecting health problems
- Planning health programs
- Tracking and monitoring changes to health behaviors and diseases
- Evaluating health programs
- Identifying at-risk groups of people
- Applying for grants and projects
- Making funding decisions
- Who can participate?
- non-institutionalized adults
- 18 years and older
- living in private residence or college housing
- How do you get my phone number?
We receive a set of computer-generated random phone numbers with Kansas-specific area codes. These are produced from all working phone numbers, both listed and unlisted.
- I am on the "Do Not Call" list. Why am I still getting calls?
The "Do Not Call" list is for companies trying to market or sell products to the public. We are calling to do a health survey and are not trying to sell you anything.
- How do I know I am taking part in a legitimate survey?
- We call from phone numbers starting with 785-296, 785-291 or 785-368.
- We do not ask for your name or address.
- You can review past survey questions here.
Still have questions, you may can call and speak to a Survey Supervisor at 1-866-445-1429.
- How long does the survey take?
The survey usually takes about 20 minutes, but it can depend on how you answer each question. If it gets too long or you need a break, we can schedule a call back time.
- Who is doing the interview?
We supervise interviewers at our location who administer surveys, ensuring quality control, confidentiality and the collection of high-quality data.