Open Records

Access to Open Records

Under the Kansas Open Records Act (KORA), you have the right to inspect and obtain copies of public records maintained by the Kansas Department of Health and Environment (KDHE) that are not exempt from disclosure

We will respond to your request by the end of the third business day after the request was received. We may not be able to immediately grant access to or disclose requested records due to the number of requests received and the time required to review each request.

Your request may be denied in whole or in part. If denied, we will identify the records and the specific legal authority for the denial. Please note that KORA does not require KDHE to prepare a report or create a record at your request.

  1. Available Records
  2. Unavailable Records

Information available under the Kansas Open Records Act includes but is not limited to the following:

  • Minutes and documents cited in open, public meetings
  • Salaries and basic information about public employees
  • Budget information
  • Licensing data about regulated industries
  • KDHE Online Databases 

Records & Databases Available Online

KDHE provides access to many records and databases on this website. We recommend checking the following online databases prior to making a KORA request.

  1. Child Care Licensing
  2. Environmental Interest Finder
  3. Environmental Remediation
  4. Immunization Records
  5. Waste Management

Licensed Child Care Facility Inspection Results includes survey findings for the last three years for licensed facilities.


You will be charged reasonable fees for staff time and expenses incurred processing your request. We may require advanced payment.

  • No fee or charge shall be assessed for the copying of documents responsive to a request made by any resident of Kansas, up to and including the first 100 pages of copies.
  • The agency will provide an estimate of the fees that shall be paid prior to producing the records. Records will not be released until payment is received. If the final cost is lower than the estimate, the requestor will be reimbursed for the difference.

Online Request System

Once you submit your KORA request, you will receive an email with a confirmation number. If you do not receive a confirmation email, check your junk/spam folder. If you still don't see your confirmation, try resubmitting your request. If you don't receive a confirmation the second time, email the KORA Officer or call 785-296-5334.

Other Ways to Submit KORA Requests

Complete the KDHE Request for Records (PDF) form and return via

  • Email
  • Fax 785-559-4272 
  • Mail
    Kansas Department of Health and Environment
    Office of Legal Services
    1000 SW Jackson Street, Suite 560
    Topeka, Kansas 66612


Email the KORA Officer or call 785-296-5334.