Policy Planning & Standards Unit
The Policy Planning & Standards Unit is responsible developing and maintaining the statewide Surface Water Quality Standards, Total Maximum Daily Loads (TMDL), water quality permit certifications, 303(d) impaired waters list and supporting documentation.
Triennial Review - Surface Water Quality Standards
Per state and federal requirements, the Kansas Department of Health and Environment (KDHE) is required to hold public hearings at least once every three years to review applicable surface water quality standards and, as appropriate, adopt new or modified standards. This process is called the triennial review.
The 2021 Triennial Review was completed, and KDHE has prepared materials for the 2024 Triennial Review. To begin this process, KDHE is holding a hearing at 10:00 am (CST) on August 2, 2023, held virtually on Zoom. Register for the hearing.
Documents related to this hearing to begin the regulation revision process are included in this section and will include the presentation given during the hearing:
- Register Notice - Kansas Surface Water Quality Standards Hearing August 2, 2023 10:00 am CST (PDF)
- Hearing Presentation August 2, 2023 (PDF)
- Redline - Proposed Surface Water Quality Standards Numeric Criteria Tables (PDF)
- Redline - Proposed Regulation Revisions K.A.R. 28-16-28e & 28h (PDF)
- Multi-Discharge Variance Register - July 1, 2023 Version (PDF)
Effective Surface Water Quality Standards
Following the 2021 Triennial Review, these documents were compiled to present the Clean Water Act effective Kansas Surface Water Quality Standards as reviewed and approved by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.
- Current Surface Water Register Maps (PDF)
- Kansas Eligibility Determination for Wastewater Lagoon Variance (PDF)
- EPA Region 7, December 21, 2018, Ammonia MDV - Approval Set Two (PDF)
- State of Kansas Multiple-Discharger Wastewater Lagoon Ammonia Variance - EPA Submission Package, February 13, 2018 (PDF)
- Kansas Surface Water Quality Standards White Papers (PDF)
Archived Regulations, Standards & Supporting Documentation
The water quality standards resources found in the Archive Center are made available for historical reference purposes and should not be confused with the current regulations, standards and supporting documents.
A timeline of water quality standards revisions can be found on Kansas Surface Water Quality Standards.