Genealogy Requests

Confidential Records

The Kansas Legislature has determined that the vital records filed with this office are not open for public inspection. They are exempted from the Kansas Open Records Act [K.S.A. 45-221(a) and K.S.A. 65-2422d(c)]. The vital records are deemed to be confidential records which may contain sensitive information. Also, the information contained in a vital record is sufficient for establishing a false identity. Identity theft and fraudulent use of vital records has soared within the last decade. Therefore, we have no indexes available to the public.

The requestor must meet eligibility requirements and must provide proof of identification.

Allowed Requests

Currently, the Office of Vital Statistics does allow requests for genealogical research. Pre-1940 records may be requested by contacting the Vital Statistics Office for further details.. Post 1940 records must be requested by an immediate family member. Additional supporting documentation regarding establishing eligibility may be required for any requests submitted.

  • Birth and death certificates began being filed with this office July 1, 1911. In 1940, this office received statutory authority which allows individuals still alive in 1940 and later who have no prior birth record filed to submit certain documentation to file a Delayed Certificate of Birth. If you think such a document could be filed, you may make a request for a Delayed Certificate of Birth search; however, please note that by state law, the initial $20 fee for a certified copy of a birth certificate is a record search fee - one certified copy is issued if the record is found and if not found, the fee is retained. See instructions below for making a request for a Delayed Certificate of Birth record search.
  • Marriage licenses began being filed with this office May 1, 1913.
  • Divorce certificates began being filed with this office July 1, 1951.
  • We have no death certificates for deaths which occurred prior to July 1, 1911. We have no marriage licenses for marriages which occurred prior to May 1, 1913, and we have no divorce certificates for divorces which occurred prior to July 1, 1951.
  • Some county clerk's offices have retained older vital record information (usually written in ledgers) from the years before the records were filed with this office, but some have not. To obtain a listing of all county clerk offices in Kansas, visit the Kansas Judicial Branch website.

To make a request for a birth, death, marriage, or divorce certificate, please visit the appropriate pages found within this section.

The website for the Kansas State Historical Society Center for Historical Research provides information regarding older records and genealogical research.

How to Request a Delayed Certificate of Birth Record Search

A request for a Delayed Certificate of Birth is done in the same manner as one for a Certificate of Live Birth. If the date of birth listed is prior to July 1, 1911, our office will conduct a Delayed Certificate of Birth search. You can also indicate on your application (somewhere near the year of birth) that you want a Delayed Birth Certificate search. You will receive either the certified copy of the Delayed Certificate of Birth or a letter explaining the record search conducted and that no record was found. Go to the Home Page and select "Birth Records."