Birth Certificate for Voter ID
Free Birth Certificate to Obtain Free Photo Identification
In order to obtain a nondriver identification card, a person must present acceptable proof of identity and proof of residence. Qualifying individuals who lack proof of identity and desire to obtain a free nondriver identification card may obtain a birth certificate at no cost to the individual by submitting to the Kansas Office of Vital Statistics a Form BCA, Affidavit of Person Requesting Free Certified Copy of Birth Certificate, and Form DE- VID1, Certification Requesting Fee Waiver for Nondriver Identification Card. To qualify such person must:
- Not possess any documents listed as valid photographic identification documents under Kansas law (see the Acceptable Documents heading)
- Lack any of the documents necessary to prove identity
- Be registered to vote in Kansas
- Have been born in Kansas
Both the Form DE- VID1 and the Form BCA are required to obtain a birth certificate in order to obtain a free non-driver identification card.
Please note the following if you are trying to obtain a birth certificate under this program for the purpose of obtaining a free nondriver identification card:
- You will not be able to get a free driver's license, just a nondriver identification card
- An individual cannot simultaneously hold a Kansas driver's license and a Kansas nondriver identification card
- An individual will only be issued one birth certificate under this program. The certificate will be stamped with "For voting purposes only"
- The forms submitted under this program can be shared with other agencies
Acceptable documents for photographic identification for purposes of voting in Kansas, pursuant to K.S.A. 2011 Supp. 25-2908:
- Driver's license issued by Kansas or another state
- Employee badge or ID document issued by a government office
- ID card issued by Kansas or another state
- U.S. military ID
- U.S. passport
- Student ID card issued by an accredited Kansas postsecondary educational institution
- Concealed carry of handgun license issued by Kansas or another state
- A public assistance identification card issued by a government office or agency
Birth Certificate Instructions for Voter ID
Instructions to obtain a free birth certificate for the purpose of obtaining a voter ID are below. Read all instructions on this page before completing forms.
- Complete a Certification Requesting Fee Waiver for Nondriver Identification Card (DE-VID1) (PDF)
- Complete an Affidavit of Person Requesting Free Certified copy of Birth Certificate (BCA) (PDF)
- Complete an Application for Certified Copy of Kansas Birth Certificate (PDF)
- For "Reason for Request" (under Requestor Information), state "Voter ID"
- For "Total Fee" place "0"
- Provide two of the following documents for proof of identification (provide copies of these documents if making the request by mail):
- Social Security Number (social security card must be signed)
- Bank Statement with Current Address
- Car Registration or Title with Current Address
- Utility Bill with Current Address
- Current Pay Stub (must include your name, social security number plus name and address of business)
- Valid Insurance Card or Policy
- Valid Health Insurance Card or Policy
- Parole Document (book sheet)
- Inmate ID
- Filed Income Tax Form 1040 (with current address)
- Letter from Social Service Agency/Health Department or other Government Agency (with current address)
- Hospital or Health Agency Bill (with current address)
- Court Documents (with current address)
- W-2 from Employer (with current address)
If you have only one or none of the documents on the previous list, please contact 785-296-1400 for personal assistance and state that you need help obtaining a birth certificate for Voter ID.
Bring or mail the completed birth certificate application, Certification Requesting Fee Waiver (DE-VID1), Affidavit of Person Requesting Free Certified Copy of Birth Certificate (BCA), and proof of identification document(s) to the Office of Vital Statistics.