About Trauma Registries
Trauma registries provide the mechanism to collect data and evaluate trauma care systems, which include:
- Injury control and epidemiology
- Patient care and quality improvement
- Resource utilization
- Medical research education on the local, state, and national level
Kansas Trauma Registry
The Kansas Trauma Registry is an integral part of the Kansas Trauma Plan as the registry is designed to facilitate communication and collaboration among hospitals and prehospital providers with varying levels of resources and expertise.
Kansas Trauma Registry users can log in to the web portal.
The Kansas Trauma Registry was authorized by K.S.A. 75-5665 and 75-5666, in which section K.S.A.75-5666 (a) reads:
- The Secretary of Health and Environment shall develop and maintain a statewide trauma registry...all designated trauma centers, prehospital trauma providers, designated trauma facilities and acute care medical facilities that provide any service or care to or for persons with trauma injury in this state shall collect and report to the trauma registry data and information deemed appropriate by the Secretary, ... to monitor patient outcome.
Data confidentiality is a key component of the Kansas Trauma Registry. K.S.A. 75-5666 provides in subsection (d):
- The information obtained by the trauma registry, including discussions and activities using the information generated by the trauma registry, shall be confidential and shall not be disclosed or made public, upon subpoena or otherwise, except such information may be disclosed if:
- No person can be identified in the information to be disclosed and the disclosure is for statistical purposes
- All persons who are identifiable in the information to be disclosed consent in writing to its disclosure
- The disclosure is necessary and only to the extent necessary to protect the public health and does not identify providers or facilities
- The information to be disclosed is required in a court proceeding involving child abuse and the information is disclosed in camera