X-rays generated by machines are used in medical, dental, veterinary, industrial, and other fields. X-ray is a valuable diagnostic tool used to give physicians, dentists, and veterinarians more complete information to help them to make their diagnoses. Machine-generated radiation is also used to treat certain types of illnesses such as cancer. In industry, many process controls use machine-generated radiation or x-rays to determine things like the level of product in a container on an assembly line to how tightly a product is packed. These types of industrial uses ensure that quality products reach the marketplace.
Machine-generated radiation in the form of X-rays are authorized and regulated under Kansas Statutes and Regulations. Protection of workers and the public from the harmful effects of ionizing radiation is addressed in the regulations.
Machine-generated radiation in the form of X-rays is authorized and regulated under Kansas Statutes and Regulations. Applications such as accelerators, research, production and isotopes, sterilization, and therapy are also regulated. Protection of workers and the public from the harmful effects of ionizing radiation is addressed in the regulations. X-rays machines and the X-ray tubes must be registered with the State and annual fees must be paid by the registrant. There are specific requirements in the regulations for safety, radiation monitoring, proper machine operation, and many more topics. Kansas Department of Health and Environment conducts periodic inspections of facilities operating X-ray machines to ensure compliance with the regulations.
Kansas Department of Health and Environment inspectors perform contract inspections for the Food and Drug Administration under the Mammography Quality Standards Act (MQSA). The MQSA program helps to ensure that patients receive quality mammograms for the early detection of breast cancer. Regulatory Reference: Kansas Statutes Annotated (K.S.A Chapter 48, Article 16), Kansas Administrative Regulations (K.A.R. 28-35-133 to 28-35-505).
- KS IN 2023-01 (PDF)
- Clarification about Precision Testing in Bone Densitometry and DEXA (PDF)
- Dental Regulations and Explanations (PDF)
- Information Notice regarding Gonadal Shielding Waivers (PDF)
- Information Notice Regarding the Use of Handheld X-Ray Units (PDF)
- Information Notice Regarding the Use of Instadose dosimeters (PDF)
- Information Notice Regarding the Use of Mobile X-Ray Units (PDF)
- Temporary Guidance for X-ray Registrants and Physicists in Kansas During the COVID-19 Pandemic (PDF)
- Veterinary Regulations and Explanations (PDF)
- Half-Value Layer Table from Regulations (PDF)
- Kansas X-Ray Service Provider List (Active Registered Medical Physicists) (PDF)
- Medical Physicists Performing Work in Kansas (PDF)
- Physicist or Service Provider Registration Form (PDF)
- Radiation Monitoring Companies (PDF)
- Radiation Therapy - Authorized User Registration Form (PDF)
- RH-92: Request for Handheld X-Ray Waiver (PDF)
- X-Ray Shielding Plan Review Form (PDF)