Purpose of the Technical Services
The Section provides engineering and operational surveillance of wastewater facilities, carries out a compliance and enforcement program, carries out the statewide water and wastewater operator certification program, develops statewide surface water quality standards, and issues permits for new or extended systems.
If the incident is after hours and represents a significant public health threat call 785-296-1679 immediately.
Wastewater Permit Application Forms & Related Information
General Information for Wastewater Permitting Activities
Commercial & Municipal Permitting
Industrial Wastewater Permitting
Specialty Permit Application Forms
Industrial Permit Application Forms for New & Unpermitted Existing Facilities
2022 Ready Mix Concrete & Concrete Products Plants Draft General Permit for Public Notice
The Kansas Department of Health and Environment has prepared a Kansas/NPDES Water Pollution Control Wastewater Permit for operating wastewater treatment/retention facilities for ready-mixed concrete plants, concrete product plants, and their associated facilities. The Public Notice period begins June 30, 2022, with comments due by July 30, 2022. Public Notice documents are available below.
The current Kansas Ready- Mixed Concrete General Permit is effective from October 1, 2017 through September 30, 2022. The re-issued permit and forms contain new and additional requirements.
- 2017 Permit Transfer Request (PDF)
- 2022 Notice of Permit Termination (PDF)
- Chemicals Additives Log (PDF)
- eDMR User Manual (PDF)
- List of Outstanding National Resource Waters in Kansas (PDF)
- Notice of Intent Instructions (PDF)
- Notice of Intent Permit Application Form (PDF)
- Ready Mix General Permit draft 2022 permit (PDF)
- Ready Mix Significant Changes for 2022 General Permit (PDF)
- Ready-Mixed Concrete General Permit (PDF)
- Ready-Mixed Fact Sheet 2022 draft (PDF)
- Redline Strikeout Compare of Old and the New Permit (PDF)
- Response to comments 09-26-2017 Ready-Mixed Concrete General Permit (PDF)
- RM SWP2 Certification 2022-2027 draft for pn (PDF)
- Stormwater Comprehensive Site Compliance Evaluation Form (PDF)
- SWPP Plan Completion Certification Form (PDF)
Highlights of the New Ready-Mixed Concrete General Permit
- Requires existing facilities to submit a new NOI to continue coverage, or submit an individual permit application to change coverage to an individual NPDES permit by March 1st, 2018.
- Updated NOI forms and Instructions, including addition of the SWP2 Plan Certification form and the Containment Structure Chemical Additives Log
- Requires an updated SWP2 Plan that clearly identifies each wastewater structure and each stormwater outfall on the SWP2 Plan Map and in the field.
- For identified settlement and containment structures, requires permittee to indicate whether each structure is in compliance with KDHE Industrial Wastewater Lagoon Requirements (K.A.R. 28-16-160 through 174). For any structure not meeting these requirements, a structure upgrade schedule must be provided to bring the facility into compliance with the regulations. Eliminated guidance for structures in permit that was inconsistent with these regulations.
- Requires documentation of the amount and type of detergents, cleansers or other additives used. Permits discharge of wash water only from chemical/additive free washing. Requires non-discharging containment of wash water with additives.
- Requires Annual Comprehensive Site Compliance Evaluation to be submitted to KDHE-BOW by October 1st of each year.
(KDHE will not require Ready-mix permittees to complete and submit this form for 2018. The permittee shall begin completing this form for 2019. The form shall be kept on site and be available for KDHE and EOA inspections upon request. Once KDHE has an electronic reporting system in place, the forms will be required to be submitted electronically. KDHE has a timeline to have a new reporting system in place by October 1, 2020 for the submitting of the 2020 forms. KDHE will send a notification to Ready-mix permittees when the electronic report system is completed.)
For additional information contact Eric Staab at 785-296-4347 or Chris Seeds at 785-296-5517.